Patient and Family Engagement
At Sinai Health System we know that input and insight from patients and families is essential to improving patient experience and outcomes. Our goal, in partnership with you, is to transform care for patients, and their caregivers today and in the future.
I felt compelled to do more for the families and Mount Sinai as a way to give back for the medical care and support provided during my journey.
Patient and Family Partners have been invaluable in supporting our current Values work, developing our annual Quality Improvement Plan (link), falls prevention activity, and have established councils for our Academic Family Health team and our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
There are many ways to get involved and we will work with you to find a role that fits your interests and schedule. Examples of ways you can participate:
- Share your experience and ideas on hospital committees
- Be part of organization decision making and shaping the care experience
- Participate alongside staff on working groups or special projects
Be a mentor
- Provide support to other patients/families
- Co-host a support group
Be a teacher
- Share your story at a new employee orientation
- Present at conferences
Be a member of an advisory committee
- Advance client and family centred care
- Attend monthly meeting with leaders
- Inform hospital strategy and advance projects to help other patients and their caregivers
Become a Partner
Fill out a form to become a partner.
Examples of Patient and Family Engagement
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can be a patient and family partner?
You can apply to be a partner if you or a family member:
- Received care at one of our hospitals (Bridgepoint Active Healthcare and Mount Sinai Hospital) or
- Are a member of the community that is served by the hospitals
You do not need any special qualifications to be a partner. Your experience is what is most important. We will provide you with any training or onboarding you might need.
Why should I become a patient and family partner?
If you received care or you cared for someone who received care at one of our campuses, did you think there were things that could have been done differently or better? When you become a patient and family partner, you have the opportunity to use your experience in receiving care from Sinai Health and/ or experience in the health care system to improve the care and experience for other patients and families.
Our patient and family partners receive:
- Free parking
- Ongoing support and training
- Opportunities to attend hospital special events, workshops and presentations
- Opportunities to network with other patients and families
What do patient and family partners do?
We know that input from patients and families help to improve the experience and outcomes. When you volunteer as a partner, you can offer your support in many ways, such as:
- Share your story
- Participate in a discussion group
- Review or help create materials (brochures, posters, education pamphlets)
- Work on short-term projects
- Serve on an advisory council
- Partner with individual departments or programs
Is being a patient and family partner right for me?
Being a patient and family partner may be a good match with your skills and experience if you can:
- Share suggestions and potential solutions to help improve care for others
- Talk about your experience but also think beyond your own personal experiences
- Talk about both positive and negative care experiences and share your thoughts on what went well and how your experience could have been improved
- Partner and work with people who are diverse, including abilities, lifestyle, spiritual views, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression
- Listen and bring a positive attitude to discussions, even if you disagree
- Keep any information you may hear as private and confidential
I have a concern about my recent hospital experience. Is this the right process to address that?
Our patient relations team is the best place to start if you have a concern. You can contact them here:
- Phone: 416-586-4800 x5066
- Email: [email protected]
I have more questions about becoming a partner. Who should I contact?
For more information, you connect with our office of patient and family experience:
- Phone: 416-461-8252 x2085
- Email: [email protected]