Why get your flu shot this year?
“We will almost certainly see more influenza activity this season compared to last year. We need to be prepared for an increase in influenza and other respiratory infections. The best way to prevent influenza is to get your flu shot!”
Dr. Jennie Johnstone
Physician Lead, Infection Prevention and Control, Sinai Health
Why were there so few cases of flu last year?
Public health measures for COVID-19 also helped stop the spread of influenza.
Will there be more flu activity this year?
More influenza activity is expected this year because:
- COVID-19 public health measures are slowly lifting.
- People are travelling again.
- We have seen an increase in other respiratory viruses.
Will COVID-19 increase during fall and winter again?
As more people gathered indoors last year, there was increase in cases. This year, there are some important differences:
- Almost three-quarters of the population of Ontario is vaccinated.
- Public health measures are being relaxed but many places have COVID-19 vaccine requirements for public indoor spaces.
- COVID-19 vaccines will soon be available for children under 12.
Protecting yourself and others
- Get vaccinated: Get the flu shot, your best protection against influenza. Get the COVID-19 vaccine if you haven’t already. You can even get them at the same time!
- Clean your hands often.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- Follow public health guidelines on gatherings and wearing a mask in public places.